Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The 9th of July

I don't know how many places in the world you can walk on 9th of July Avenue on the 9th of July.

Neuve de Julio (or 9th of July) is Independence Day here in Argentina. It relates to freedom from the King of Spain - who was having his own problems getting his butt kicked by Napoleon (ah, yes....timing is everything). And it is a public holiday!

This morning, I went into the office (surprise, surprise) and these two guys rode by the building. I hadn't seen mounted police here before. I think they only patrol when the traffic is light - holidays and weekends. No, they were not the beginning, middle and the end of the Independence Day parade!!



On the way back to the apartment, I took the long way home - I went for a walk along Avenida 9 de Julio. It took me towards the Obelisk which is about 2 km up the road from our place.
For having 22 lanes, traffic was very light because of the holiday. It was also sunny and 16. A lovely 'winter' day with a number of folks just hanging out at the plaza at the base of the Obelisk.

Along the way is the Teatro Colon, which is 100 years old this year. A major renovation was planned so that the grand re-opening would be timed with the 100th anniversary of the building (May, 2008). With just a month before it was to re-open, they announced it wouldn't re-open for another 18 months.
Apparently, the materials they used for seats and tapestries changed the acoustics so badly, they had to start over again. I think they ran out of money and didn't want to tell anyone. I have come to learn (painfully) that this kind of delay happens frequently (and the reasons aren't always that clear).

Hopefully, it will be open before we leave and we can enjoy a performance there.

B.

No comments: