Wednesday, April 23, 2008

So what are we doing here?

I have joined a company called Petro Andina Resources (PAR).

Currently we operate ~ 20,000 barrels/day of oil production in an area called the Neuquen Basin. It is a 2 hour flight from Buenos Aires (plus a 3 hour drive to the field).

The wells are only 700 metres deep and with 5 drilling rigs and 5 completion/well servicing rigs operating in the field, we are looking forward to a lot of activity.

So why am I here?
We have grown so quickly that we have a number of new positions in the company. I have one of those new positions. I head up the Operations Groups (Drilling, Facilities Construction, Production Engineering & Operations). Similar to past roles for me but in such a different and very interesting environment.

The search firm called in late November before I left for Lake Louise for the World Cup to see if I (I mean, we) were interested in a position in Argentina. There were a number of interviews and by January, we were preparing for a visit to BA to see if we could 'handle' it.

The first interview with my new boss was quite interesting because he kept stepping out to answer his cell phone. He was expecting his first grandchild and updates kept interrupting our meeting. She didnt arrive on that day (false alarm) but all things eventually turned out well for Grandpa.

Other than the distance from family & friends (and selling cars, renting the house, packing up and storing our belongings, numerous trips to the dump, furniture distributed between the kids' houses, address changes, parting with the dog, the three to 5 hour time difference - depending on the time of year), we thought it would be a great idea....note that most of those things in brackets were accomplished by Mimi AFTER I got down here!




























My first trip to the field was a good one. I shared the trip with our Board of Directors. It was great to have a Board who make regular trips from Calgary to get a better understanding of what is being accomplished here. Let's just say that we avoided that three hour drive because we were able to land at an airstrip that was much closer than the Neuquen airport.
Notice the local firetruck came out to meet us (and to make sure we arrived and departed safely).

It will be an exciting time for us. I am looking forward to the challenges of a new language, learning different ways to accomplish things in the oilpatch, living in an apartment for the first time in 25 years and helping PAR get to the next level.


B.

No comments: