Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I am now in the club

After 7 months of processing including translations of birth certificate, marriage licence, passport, proof of residence here, 4 visits to the Immigration office here with 'advisors', a trip to Toronto to visit the Argentine consulate, 5 sets of finger prints...and tremendous assistance from several staff here in our office - I now have my DNI.
The DNI is the Documento Nacional de Identidad. It comes in the form of a little booklet with a burgundy cover. It has my picture, thumb print, address, birthplace, signature and yes, it has a number. My number. It is an 8 digit number (just like phone numbers here).

It is used for everything. Voting, moving, organ donoring, car rentals, getting the 'locals' price on airfares, paying your dinner bill (they ask for a document number when you pay with a credit card), getting stopped on the street by a cop, having a bank account, transferring money to Canada, you name it.

The photo is one of those - 'quarter turn, no smile, no glasses' pictures....and I noticed that I am starting to look old.


So when they say 'ver are zee papers?' (in Spanish, of course) - I flash my little burgundy book!

B.

No comments: