Sunday, August 31, 2008

Culture Time

This week, some friends here were expecting a couple to visit them from California but due to an expired passport, they didn't make the trip. Our friends had lined up a number of local activities for them. Instead of cancelling them, we have been invited to partake in some of the events. It was a great opportunity for us and it will also help us organize visits from our own friends and family.

Last night's event was dinner and a show at restaurante 'La Pena del Colorado' on Guemes. We took a radiotaxi there. The driver practiced his English and we destroyed Spanish in our attempt to give him directions to the restaurant!

The restaurant profiles cuisine from all parts of Argentina and on most nights, there is entertainment. We arrived for the 9 pm reservation and the place was virtually empty. Dinner is enjoyed late here and even later on weekends.

Following our dinner, they had a great band with a lead singer who ended the show with two encores. It was a lot of fun.

The rest of the story.....

The evening began with me unwittingly starting a fire in the restaurant. I was reading the program of performers for the month and when I finished, I put it down on the table. Unfortunately, I had dropped it on top of a votive candle and it caught fire. Mimi came to the rescue and ended my embarrassment (and the fire).

I noticed that I was not the first person to do this as most of the vinyl covered menu's had melt marks on them from the candles!

We very much enjoyed the meal and have probably found the best place to enjoy one of our favorite wines - a St Felicien Malbec. I say the best place to enjoy it, as it was only $60 pesos/bottle.


B.




No comments: