Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mimi arrived in one piece....more or less

I was out in the field for three days. It was an interesting trip that started with a work disruption/strike by the fuel handlers union at the Jorge Newberry Airport (domestic). It delayed our flight to Neuquen by 3 hours. Since planes with no fuel tend to drop out of the sky, I was OK with the delay. It was a bit of foreshadowing because on that trip I spent 5 hours in meetings with unions discussing work disruption possibilities in our operations.
I was more concerned that my trip home would be delayed and there would be no one to meet Mimi at the airport....I feared she might just catch the next flight out of town. I was confident in the fact that she was so loaded down with luggage, I could find her in a heap somewhere in the international airport.
My flight back to BA on Friday morning was on time and her flight from Toronto was delayed, so things all worked out. I was also blessed by the fact that two fellow travellers helped her carry/wheel/push her bags through Customs/Security where I and the remise driver were waiting. We are meeting those two fellow travellers for a thank you drink later in the week.

The only casualty of the trip was Mimi's new golf carry bag......and a shoe. The plastic golf bag case ended getting damaged (cracked) and Mimi was missing one shoe. We think the shoe never made it out of Calgary!
The weekend was a blur of getting caught up, getting (re)acquainted with the neighborhood and making room in the closets for Mimi stuff. I had taken over the place.
Mimi had spent one week here in February and had an excellent recollection of many things. It was a bit embarrassing as she picked up on things in days that took me weeks!

We did get busted on Sunday morning as the phone rang at 8 am. The portera who looks after the building called and said 'something' in Spanish. I sniffed the air to make sure the place wasn't on fire and then went to check the door to see if were expecting someone or something. It turned out that the night before, we had forgotten to close the inner door on the elevator when we used it. This keeps the elevator at our front door - and no one else in the building can use it. I sheepishly closed the inner door and it was summoned to another floor immediately. Mimi doesn't notice but every time someone from the building see us, I point at her & shrug!

I am sure we will make more mistakes in the future but forgetting that damn inner elevator door will NEVER EVER happen again!

The fall weather continues to hold, Mimi bought a purse and we have a tee time on Saturday. Life is good in BA.

B.

No comments: