Monday, July 20, 2009

City Update

Yes, I have been able to maintain my running (it has been at least a week now). And yes, I still take my camera. Sunday was a gray day but good for running.
From the apartment, I ran up Avenida 9 de Julio past the Teatro Colon, which is still closed for renovations. It was to re-open in May, 2008 on it's 100th anniversary but things have been 'delayed'. It will re-open sometime in 2010. In time for the country's 200th anniversary.
I ran by El Obolisco

on the way to the Casa Rosada (the Pink Palace),which is the office of the country's president. Cristina has had a rocky time lately....and pretty much deserves it. They keep the gates locked up all the time now and she commutes from home in a helicopter.

I continued on to Puerto Madero, where there is the distinctive Puente de la Mujer (Women's Bridge). It was designed by Santiago Calatrava - who has designed several world renowned bridges. He has also designed the footbridge that will be (probably, maybe, might be) built at 10th Street, crossing the Bow River in Calgary.
And another thing....
Felice Dia del Amigo! (July 20th)
It is a great little day of celebration - not a holiday, no cards - just a recognition of friends. So enjoy the day & remember your friends!
B.

No comments: