Saturday, January 17, 2009

Summer time!

Slowing down even further....

Yesterday was one of those days where you reassess your plans. It meant walking even slower to work and avoiding direct sunlight and seeking out the shade.

I knew right away that it was going to be a warm one. By the time I got to the office I had to stand in front of my office air conditioner and dry off.
In Calgary, we would rejoice at the opportunity to sit outside to enjoy dinner (and not have deck heaters making it tolerable!). There just arent that many days/nights where it stays warm enough to do so....here in BA it is a completely different story.
Mimi and I went out for a late lunch yesterday and took the opportunity to sit on the patio of the restaurant. Halfway through my first beer, we were looking for a spot INSIDE the restaurant. I was just sitting there and my shirt started to change color. It went from a light blue to a sweat stained darker blue. I wasnt even moving, we were sitting in the shade and I was still dripping in my salad! I know I am going to miss these warm, HUMID days!
The city really is quieter in the summer. Many shops close for weeks at a time in Jan & Feb and it is the time when many locals head to the beach for their annual holiday.

Speaking of holidays - we got an email out of the blue from a friend at Bearspaw. Turns out a bunch of couples from Calgary are here on a golf holiday. We are having them to our apartment this afternoon.
They were probably expecting golf carts at all the courses in BA but there are only 2 courses in the city that have them. Having a caddy is great but a 4 hour walk in 37 degree heat is a whole different game! I am looking forward to hearing their stories.

B.

No comments: